Located at beautiful Smith Mountain Lake State Park this race is a must-do event for the regions Collegiate athletes.
The Liberty University Triathlon is a day of collegiate focused triathlon racing. Staged out of beautiful Smith Mountain Lake State Park this triathlon classic has clear water, mountain views and fun courses. The swim features a sandy beach start and a crisp, clear lake. The bike and run courses are rural, rolling and not too challenging. Colleges from all over the Mid-Atlantic bring their NCAA and Club teams to compete in the Olympic or Draft Legal race. The competition is fierce with 11 finishers in 2017 breaking 2 hours for the Olympic. The competition is also friendly so with a bit of training this can be an outstanding first race for the novice triathlete.
If you are spectating and bringing the family this is a great time of the year to be in the western part of the state. Smith Mountain Lake is home to numerous lodging options and attractions. There is great trail running in the park, trout fishing nearby and plenty of country to explore. For the cyclist in the family be sure to head into Roanoke and the Blue Ridge Parkway. You can learn more about Bedford County HERE. Lodging tends to fill up quickly, so be sure to make your reservations in advance.
This is an outstanding event for all athletes and one that focuses on the collegiate athlete. You can check out some race footage HERE then sign up below.
Liberty University Olympic
Saturday, October 20, 2018 at 9am
1500 Meter Swim (lake); 24 Mile Bike (rolling hills); 10K Run (rolling hills)
Liberty University Sprint (draft legal)
Saturday, October 20, 2018 at 8am
750 Meter Swim (lake); 20K Bike (rolling hills); 5K Run (rolling hills)
- All athletes receive a Tri-Blend Race Shirt and post race meal.
- Race categories available for this race are Age Group, Collegiate (MATC Championships) Age Groups are scored together for an overall top 3 M/F and Top 3 Masters Overall. Collegiate is scored top 10 Overall M/F.
- All Kinetic Multisports races areUSA Triathlon sanctioned events. Click HERE for a brief description of common USAT racing rules and how you can avoid getting a penalty in this event.
- All Kinetic Multisports race registrations are non-refundable. There are however options for race registration insurance and a one time deferral. Visit our FAQ’s for more details.
- Please do not exceed the speed limit inside the park (25 mph)! The speed limit is STRICTLY enforced!
Event Site Rules
Transition Area Rules: Please note that bicycles will not be released from the transition area until the bike cut off time (3 hours from the last wave) or the last runner exits transition. The parking lot exits directly on to the bike and run courses and having 400 cars disgorge onto the courses creates a very unsafe situation for the remaining athletes. Thank you for your understanding and patience in this matter.
Parking: Since we will be having a draft legal collegiate race the same morning as and prior to the olympic race, ALL athletes and spectators MUST be inside the park by 8am race morning. The road into the park will be closed for the draft legal races. Also, please note that if you park in the lot beach parking lots you are “locked in” until the last cyclist is in. If you need to leave prior to the last cyclist arriving please park in the boat launch parking area.
- Olympic: This event is limited to 550 athletes (350 Collegiate, 50 High School, and 150 Adult/Open)
- Sprint: Draft Legal – 75 athletes/race.
- Olympic: Collegiate – Top 10 Men & Women; Open/Adult Age Group – Top 3 Men & Women Overall only; Top 3 Masters Men & Women Overall only
- Sprint: Collegiate – Top 3 Men & Women
Road Closures In Effect: To ensure the safety of our Draft Legal athletes, the the main road to packet pick up at the race site will be closed at 8:00AM Sharp on race day (Saturday). All athletes and spectators need to be inside the park at this time. We recommend getting to the race site no later than 7:30AM.
Location: Smith Mtn. Lake State Park
Swim Area Pavilion (Event Site)
Address: Smith Mountain Lake State Park
1235 State Park Road
Huddleston, VA 24104-9547
Date: Saturday (Race Day)
Time: 7 – 8am
Location: Smith Mtn. Lake State Park
Swim Area Pavilion (Event Site)
Pre-Race Meeting : 7:45/8:45 at the beach
Note: Participants must collect his/ her own event packets. Photo ID is required in order to collect event materials. NO ID = NO EVENT. ALL USAT annual members must show a valid USAT membership card or pay the one day membership fee ($15)
Official Housing/Host Hotel
Mariner’s Landing Resort (2 miles from event site)
Toll-free: (855) SML-VACA
(Say you are with the triathlon to get the group rate)
Click HERE for other area hotels.
Thank you for making this event your first triathlon! There are many more people like yourself who will be racing this type of event for the first time. Please note that if you register as a Novice, you will be scored in the Novice division, not your Age Group. By registering as a Novice you will start the race in the last wave of athletes if the race is an open water swim.
USA Triathlon requires each triathlete to either have a current membership or purchase a 1-day license. The 1-day license can be purchased when you register. The cost of a 1-day license is $15, an annul membership is $50 for adults and $10 for kids under 18.
Below are links to additional information that you will want to review before race weekend.
Endorphin Fitness is the most successful coaching organization in Virginia from beginner to elite and youth to adult.Visit www.endorphinfitness.com to learn about Endorphin Fitness Group Coaching, Personal Coaching, Expert Bike Fitting, Performance Testing, and Technique Video Analysis.
- Guide To Your First Triathlon – Michael Harlow of Endorphin Fitness
- Intro to Triathlon – Kyle Pawlazyk of Endorphin Fitness
- How Fast Can You Go – Michael Harlow of Endorphin Fitness
- Shoelaces – Camille Ronesi of Endorphin Fitness
- Goal Setting – Michael Harlow of Endorphin Fitness
- Short Sleeve Tri Suits – Kyle Pawlaczyk of Endorphin Fitness
- What Kids Need From Sports – Michael Harlow of Endorphine Fitness
- Strength Training and the Endurance Athlete – Camille Ronesi of Endorphin Fitness
- Power Meter – Kyle Pawlaczyk of Endorphin Fitness
- Hamstring Stretches – Camille Ronesi of Endorphin Fitness
- Fishing for Breakthroughs – Michael Harlow of Endorphin Fitness
- Failure Is Not An Option – Camille Ronesi of Endorphin Fitness
- Winter Training – Team Z
- Swim Training – Doug Marocco of PowerBar Team Elite
- Off Season Top 10 List – Alysia Kern Lovgren of Catalyst 3 Coaching
Find a Club: Are you looking for a fun group of athletes to work out with? Find a club near you using the USAT Club Finder.
Volunteers are the lifeblood of any successful event.
If you would like to volunteer for this race just fill out the form below and we will put you to work!