Deep Creek Lake and the SavageMan Triathlon must be experienced…
Deep Creek Lake and the pristine, rugged Allegheny Mountains of western Maryland, provide a venue of unmatched beauty and stunning scenery. Swim in crystal clear Deep Creek Lake. Ride the smooth, remote, and challenging roads of Garrett County. Run the Deep Creek State Park trails and surrounding lakeside roads. The SavageMan Triathlon Festival races will challenge and awe every participant. If such a triathlon appeals to you then you will love the SavageMan Triathlon Festival. For 2019 we have reverted to the Classic SavageMan courses and format, with a twist.
Friday 5PM – SavageMan Swim-Run #GoKinetic Prologue – 250m/1mi/250m/1mi/250m/1mi. This spectator friendly event takes place entirely within 1/2 mile of the beach. Watch your favorite athlete race by 3 times as they vie for top tier placing.
Saturday 9AM – SavageMan 30 Olympic- Classic, challenging course with Bumblebee, Foy and a 2 loop run.
Saturday 9:30AM – SavageMan 20 Sprint- Classic course with a flat, out and back bike.
Sunday 8:30AM – SavageMan 70 Long Course – Classic course with Westernport, Big Savage Mtn, Killer Miller and the Fire Tower Trail (2 loops).
Big Savage Challenge
3 days of racing. $10,000 in prize money. Lowest cumulative time wins. Select Big Savage Challenge when registering for a multi-event discount.
Friday – Swim-Run Prologue / Saturday – Olympic / Sunday – Long Course
We are excited to bring more racing to the The SavageMan Triathlon Festival and bring back the classic 70 & 30. We have more events/activities in the works, so rent a lake house with friends and stay Friday through Monday, we promise, the trip is worth it! Deep Creek Lake State Park is a top East Coast outdoor training destination. Hiking, road and mtn biking, trail running, kayaking and paddle boarding are all available within minutes of the race site. Don’t wait, sign up today.
Sunday, September 15, 2019 at 8:30 AM
Triathlon: 1.2 Mile Swim; 55.7 Mile Bike; 13.1 Mile Run
Aquabike: 1.2 Mile Swim; 55.7 Mile Bike
Saturday, September 14, 2019 at 9 AM
Triathlon: 1500 Meter Swim; 22.9 Mile Bike; 6.2 Mile Run
Aquabike: 1500 Meter Swim; 22.9 Mile Bike
Saturday, September 14, 2019 at 9:30am
Triathlon: 750 Meter Swim; 15.5 Mile Bike; 3.1 Mile Run
Aquabike: 750 Meter Swim; 15.5 Mile bike
Big Savage Challenge
Starts Friday, September 13, 2019 at 5:00 PM
Swim-Run Prologue: 250 Meter Swim; 1 Mile Run (done 3x)
SavageMan 30 Olympic: 1500 Meter Swim – 22.9 Mile Bike – 6.2 Mile Run
SavageMan 70 Long Course: 1.2 Mile Swim – 55.7 Mile Bike – 13.1 Mile Run
$10,000 Prize Purse – Lowest Combined Time Wins
- Swag: All athletes receive a Tri-Blend Race Shirt, Custom Race Socks and a super cool custom Finisher’s Medal. Also, don’t forget the DJ, bounce house for the kids and fabulous post race spread.
- Race categories available for this race are Age Group, Aquabike, Relay teams, Clydesdale, Athena, Military, Collegiate, High School and Novice. All categories are scored 3 deep with Aquabike going 5 deep M/F per event.
- All Kinetic Multisports races are USA Triathlon sanctioned events. Click HERE for a brief description of common USAT racing rules and how you can avoid getting a penalty in this event.
- All Kinetic Multisports race registrations are non-refundable. There are however options for race registration insurance and a one time deferral. Visit our FAQ’s for more details.
- Are you new to the sport of triathlon and a bit nervous? Check out our training page so we can get you connected with a coach, club or training group to get you to the finish line.
- All registered athletes will receive an email on the Wednesday or Thursday before the race with all the information pertaining to their entry to include bib numbers, wave start list with start times and any last minute details to make your race weekend go smoothly!
- Do the Double: Would you like to race both days of the Savageman Triathlon Festival weekend? If so when you register for the 1st race you will be prompted to register for the second race saving you 20% off the highest price race! If you are registering for the Big Savage Challenge it will be it’s own option when registering.
The Westernport Wall and the Westernport Wall Block Party is an experience unique to triathlon with a 31% grade lined with screaming, cowbell-ringing crazed spectators. All athletes who successfully make it up the Westernport Wall cleanly will have a brick engraved with their name laid into the Wall for future Savages to ride over and fall onto! Relay teams DO NOT get bricks, sorry. Please read the Westernport Wall Rules HERE
Water Temperature: The water is expected to be in the mid to upper 60’s.
Chessie Photos will be attending this event capturing images throughout the race course. Athletes will receive a customized email after the race with automated links to find your images. You may also go directly to their website to review their custom products, and purchase your photos from this and other Series Events.
Savageman 30 & 20 & Prologue
Time: 3:00PM – 7:00PM
Location: Race Site
Pre-Race Meeting: 6PM in White Tent (after the prologue)
Time: 7:30AM – 8:30AM
Location: Race Site
Time: 5:00PM – 7:00PM
Location: Race Site
Pre-Race Meeting: 6PM in White Tent
Time: 6:30AM – 7:30AM
Location: Race Site
Official Lodging Partner
With a total of over thirty years of experience in the Deep Creek Lake vacation rental market, Railey Mountain Lake Vacation’s friendly staff are experts in the industry and are committed to making your Deep Creek Lake housing an unforgettable experience!
Weekend Rental Houses
- Railey Mountain Lake Vacations offers a wide selection of houses. Call 866-966-3280 for more information and be sure to mention SavageMan Triathlon to receive a 10% discount on rental homes.
- Taylor-Made Deep Creek Vacations offers 1-8 bedroom chalets, cottages and condos around the Deep Creek Lake area and exceeds expectations with award-winning customer service. Stay 3 nights for the price of 2! Ask your reservationist for more details! 1-866-351-1119 or www.deepcreekvacations.com.
- The Suites at Silver Tree is offering a 10% discount for a two-night rental and a 20% discount for a three-night rental over SavageMan weekend. Suites at Silver Tree is the closest lodging to the State Park race site. Call 800-711-1719 for more information.
There is an enormous selection of rental houses on and near Deep Creek Lake that can accomomdate from 4 to 25. See the Chamber of Commerce for additional rental house options.
Hotel and Motel Options
There are many hotel and motel options near Deep Creek Lake, particularly near the ski area. See the Chamber of Commerce for hotel and motel options.
Many of the nearby State Parks and Forests have campgrounds, and the campgrounds at Deep Creek State Park are large and convenient. The SavageMan Triathlon run courses go right through this campground!
Campgrounds are also available at the BumbleBee Campground and at the following nearby State Parks: New Germany State Park, Big Run State Park, Savage River State Forest, Swallow Falls State Park, and Herrington Manor State Park.
Nights get cool in September so plan accordingly.
Thank you for making this event your first triathlon! There are many more people like yourself who will be racing this type of event for the first time. Please note that if you register as a Novice, you will be scored in the Novice division, not your Age Group. By registering as a Novice you will start the race in the last wave of athletes if the race is an open water swim.
USA Triathlon requires each triathlete to either have a current membership or purchase a 1-day license. The 1-day license can be purchased when you register. The cost of a 1-day license is $15, an annul membership is $50 for adults and $10 for kids under 18.
Below are links to additional information that you will want to review before race weekend.
Find a Club: Are you looking for a fun group of athletes to work out with? Find a club near you using the USAT Club Finder.
- Guide To Your First Triathlon – Michael Harlow of Endorphin Fitness
- Intro to Triathlon – Kyle Pawlazyk of Endorphin Fitness
- How Fast Can You Go – Michael Harlow of Endorphin Fitness
- Shoelaces – Camille Ronesi of Endorphin Fitness
- Goal Setting – Michael Harlow of Endorphin Fitness
- Short Sleeve Tri Suits – Kyle Pawlaczyk of Endorphin Fitness
- What Kids Need From Sports – Michael Harlow of Endorphin Fitness
- Strength Training and the Endurance Athlete – Camille Ronesi of Endorphin Fitness
- Power Meter – Kyle Pawlaczyk of Endorphin Fitness
- Hamstring Stretches – Camille Ronesi of Endorphin Fitness
- Fishing for Breakthroughs – Michael Harlow of Endorphin Fitness
- Failure Is Not An Option – Camille Ronesi of Endorphin Fitness
- Winter Training – Team Z
- Swim Training – Doug Marocco of PowerBar Team Elite
- Off Season Top 10 List – Alysia Kern Lovgren of Catalyst 3 Coaching
Volunteers are the lifeblood of any successful event.
If you would like to volunteer for this race just fill out the form below and we will put you to work!
Affiliated CharitiesThe Special Operations Warrior Foundation provides full scholarship grants and educational and family counseling to the surviving children of special operations personnel who die in operational or training missions and immediate financial assistance to severely wounded special operations personnel and their families. Please consider making a donation during the registration process. You can also make a donation via their website by clicking HERE.
The Chesapeake Bay Foundation is a watershed protection agency that fights to keep the water we swim in clean. Please consider making a donation to the Chesapeake Bay Foundation during the registration process.
Picture coming soon
Custom Race Socks
Picture coming soon
Custom Finisher Medal
Picture Coming Soon!