Located on the outskirts of picturesque Smithfield in the Southeast corner of Virginia, the Smithfield Sprint Triathlon is an early season favorite. Hosted by the Luter Family YMCA this race features a short pool swim, lightning fast bike, and pancake flat run course. Whether you are a seasoned athlete or a triathlon novice, this is a great event for you. You’ll feel safe, yet challenged on the rural bike course and will have a flat, fast run to finish your race. This race starts at 10AM and features hot showers and post race BBQ. Be sure to check out our Smithfield Sprint Triathlon Video to see what you have been missing, then sign up today!
Smithfield Sprint Triathlon
Saturday, April 7, 2018 at 10:00 AM
300 Meter Swim (pool); 10 Mile Bike; 5K Run
- You’ll love our swag! All athletes receive a Tri-Blend Race Shirt, Custom Race Socks and a shot at a super cool, Smithfield, VA themed Finisher’s Medal. Also, don’t forget the DJ, bounce house for the kids and a fabulous post race BBQ feast. (Note – Each athlete receives 1 Free BBQ Meal with their entry, if you would like to purchase more meals for family & friends you can do it HERE)
- Race categories available for this race are Age Group, Aquabike, Relay Teams, Collegiate, Clydesdale, Master’s Clydesdale, Athena, Military and Novice. All categories are scored 3 deep.
- All Kinetic Multisports races are USA Triathlon sanctioned events. Click HERE for a brief description of common USAT racing rules and how you can avoid getting a penalty in this event.
- All Kinetic Multisports race registrations are non-refundable. There are however options for race registration insurance and a one time deferral. Visit our FAQ’s for more details.
Time: 5-7 PM
Location: Luter Family YMCA (Inside the YMCA-Race Site)
Pre-Race Meeting: 6 PM
Race Site Address: 259 James Street
Smithfield, VA 23430
Time: 8-9:30 AM
Location: Luter Family YMCA (Inside the YMCA-Race Site)
Pre-Race Meeting: 9:45 AM at pool swim start
Please Note: All participants must collect his/ her own event packet. Photo ID is required in order to collect event materials. NO ID = NO EVENT. HINT if you take a photo of your ID with your phone, that will be sufficient for photo ID purposes. ALL USAT annual members must show a valid USAT membership card.
Pre-Race Meeting: An extensive pre-race meeting will take place at 6 PM on Friday. If this is your first race, come to this meeting to have your questions answered. A second brief meeting will occur at 9:45 just outside the pool on race morning.
Things to Do
Get to Smithfield a day early to savor the hospitality and ambiance of the town and surrounding area. Visit Genuine Smithfield to find a listing of restaurants, breweries, museums, parks and much, much more.
There are several hotels in town, but they fill up quickly on race weekend. If you can’t find lodging in town, consider staying in nearby Suffolk. Be sure to let the reservations agent know you are in town for the triathlon!
Hampton Inn & Suites
200 Vincents Crossing, Smithfield, Virginia, 23430, USA
(3.2 miles to race site)
1017 Centerbrooke Lane
Suffolk, VA 23424
(17 miles to race site)
Click HERE for a listing of other area hotels.
Thank you for making this event your first triathlon! There are many more people like yourself who will be racing this type of event for the first time. Please note that if you register as a Novice, you will be scored in the Novice division, not your Age Group. By registering as a Novice you will start the race in the last wave of athletes if the race is an open water swim.
USA Triathlon requires each triathlete to either have a current membership or purchase a 1-day license. The 1-day license can be purchased when you register. The cost of a 1-day license is $15, an annul membership is $50 for adults and $10 for kids under 18.
Below are links to additional information that you will want to review before race weekend.
Endorphin Fitness is the most successful coaching organization in Virginia from beginner to elite and youth to adult. Visit www.endorphinfitness.com to learn about Endorphin Fitness Group Coaching, Personal Coaching, Expert Bike Fitting, Performance Testing, and Technique Video Analysis.
Find a Club: Are you looking for a fun group of athletes to work out with? Find a club near you using the USAT Club Finder.
- Guide To Your First Triathlon – Michael Harlow of Endorphin Fitness
- Intro to Triathlon – Kyle Pawlazyk of Endorphin Fitness
- How Fast Can You Go – Michael Harlow of Endorphin Fitness
- Shoelaces – Camille Ronesi of Endorphin Fitness
- Goal Setting – Michael Harlow of Endorphin Fitness
- Short Sleeve Tri Suits – Kyle Pawlaczyk of Endorphin Fitness
- What Kids Need From Sports – Michael Harlow of Endorphine Fitness
- Strength Training and the Endurance Athlete – Camille Ronesi of Endorphin Fitness
- Power Meter – Kyle Pawlaczyk of Endorphin Fitness
- Hamstring Stretches – Camille Ronesi of Endorphin Fitness
- Fishing for Breakthroughs – Michael Harlow of Endorphin Fitness
- Failure Is Not An Option – Camille Ronesi of Endorphin Fitness
- Winter Training – Team Z
- Swim Training – Doug Marocco of PowerBar Team Elite
- Off Season Top 10 List – Alysia Kern Lovgren of Catalyst 3 Coaching
Training Plans from Endorphin Fitness
Are you looking for a Training Plan for this race? If so check out these Smithfield Sprint Training Plans from our friends at Endorphin Fitness! If desiring more personalized coaching, contact Endorphin Fitness directly at email@example.com or by calling 804.741.1599
Smithfield Tri Training Plan (Beginner)
Beginner 8-week training plan to prepare for the 2018 Smithfield Sprint Triathlon. Developed by the 2012 USA Triathlon Coach of The Year Michael Harlow from Endorphin Fitness.
Detailed workouts laying out exactly what you need to do to get to the finish line.
Cost is $55 for 8-week plan. Click HERE to purchase the Beginner plan!
Smithfield Tri Training Plan (Intermediate)
Intermediate 8-week training plan to prepare for the 2018 Smithfield Sprint Triathlon. Developed by the 2012 USA Triathlon Coach of The Year Michael Harlow from Endorphin Fitness. Detailed workouts laying out exactly what you need to do to get to the finish line.
Cost is $55 for 8-week plan. Click HERE to purchase the Intermediate plan!
Volunteers are the lifeblood of any successful event.
If you would like to volunteer for this race just fill out the form below and we will put you to work!
Affiliated CharitiesThe Special Operations Warrior Foundation provides full scholarship grants and educational and family counseling to the surviving children of special operations personnel who die in operational or training missions and immediate financial assistance to severely wounded special operations personnel and their families. Please consider making a donation during the registration process. You can also make a donation via their website by clicking HERE.
The Chesapeake Bay Foundation is a watershed protection agency that fights to keep the water we swim in clean. Please consider making a donation to the Chesapeake Bay Foundation during the registration process.