Located on the outskirts of Allentown, PA at Lake Nockamixon State Park the Independence Triathlon is a great early season race to check your legs. Just 90 minutes from New York and 60 minutes from Philadelphia, this is an easy race to get to. Athletes will swim in the crisp, fresh waters of Lake Nockamixon (mid 60′) then race Sprint or Olympic distance races on the closed bike course. Yup, the local fire police shut down the well paved rolling roads for you guys to race; it’s 4 lanes wide and car free. Lastly, there’s a scenic, rolling run course on the shoulder of 563. This is a great early season event and is not to be missed. Plus, Allentown, PA is a pretty fun town with lots of things to do including mountain bike trails, rail trails, Dorney Park and more. Find more things to do HERE, and make a “race-cation” out of it!
On the fence about this race? Watch our race videos HERE, get fired up and register below.
Sunday 31 May, 2020 at 7:00 AM
Triathlon: 1.5 K Swim, 40K Bike, 10K Run
Aquabike: 1.5K Swim, 40K Bike
Sunday 31 May, 2020 at 7:30 AM
Triathlon: 750 Meter Swim; 20K Bike; 5K Run
Aquabike: 750 Meter Swim; 20K Bike
- You’ll love our swag! All athletes receive a Tri-Blend Race Shirt, Custom Race Socks and all finishers receive a super cool Independence themed Finishers Medal. Don’t forget the bounce house for the kids and the fabulous post race spread.
- Race categories available for this race are Age Group, Aquabike, Relay Teams, Clydesdale, Athena, Military, Para-Triathletes and Novice (No awards). All categories are scored 3 deep.
- All Kinetic Multisports races are USA Triathlon sanctioned events. Click HERE for a brief description of common USAT racing rules and how you can avoid getting a penalty in this event.
- All Kinetic Multisports race registrations are non-refundable. There are however options for race registration insurance and a one time deferral. Visit our FAQ’s for more details.
- Are you new to the sport of triathlon and a bit nervous? Check out our training page so we can get you connected with a coach, club or training group to get you to the finish line.
- All registered athletes will receive an email on the Wednesday or Thursday before the race with all the information pertaining to their entry to include bib numbers, wave start list with start times and any last minute details to make your race weekend go smoothly!
- Lastly, no swimming in Lake Nockamixon outside of the race. Please help us maintain our great relationship with the park and follow the rules.
Transition Area Rules: Please note that bicycles will not be released from the transition area until the bike cut off time (3 hours from the last wave) or the last runner exits transition. The parking lot exits directly on to the closed bike course and we need to make sure the course is clear prior to allowing 500 cars onto the roads. Thank you for your understanding and patience in this matter.
Chessie Photo will be attending this event and capturing images throughout the race course. Athletes will receive a customized email after the race with automated links to find your images. You may also go directly to their website to review their custom products, and purchase your photos from this and other Series Events.
2 Options for Packet Pick Up
1. Date: Saturday
Time: 5-7 PM
Location: Lake Nockamixon State Park
Tohickon Boat Launch (New Location for 2019)
Pre-Race Briefing: 6 PM – Race Site
Race Site Address: 1898 Mountain View Drive
Quakertown, PA 18951
2. Date: Sunday
Time: 5:30-6:30 AM
Pre-Race Briefing: 6:45 AM at swim start for Olympic and 7:15 AM at swim start for Sprint
Please Note: All participants must collect his/ her own event packet. Photo ID is required in order to collect event materials. NO ID = NO EVENT. HINT if you take a photo of your ID with your phone, that will be sufficient for photo ID purposes.
Pre-Race Meeting: An extensive pre-race meeting will take place at 6PM on Saturday. If this is your first race, come to this meeting to have your questions answered. A second brief meeting will occur 15 minutes prior to the first wave on race morning.
SpringHill Suites by Marriott
1930 John Fries Highway
Quakertown, PA 18951
Hampton Inn Hotel
1915 John Fries Highway
Quakertown, PA 18951
Comfort Inn & Suites
1905 John Fries Highway
Quakertown, PA 18951
Thank you for making this event your first triathlon! There are many more people like yourself who will be racing this type of event for the first time. Please note that if you register as a Novice, you will be scored in the Novice division, not your Age Group. By registering as a Novice you will start the race in the last wave of athletes if the race is an open water swim.
USA Triathlon requires each triathlete to either have a current membership or purchase a 1-day license. The 1-day license can be purchased when you register. The cost of a 1-day license is $15, an annul membership is $50 for adults and $10 for kids under 18.
Below are links to additional information that you will want to review before race weekend.
Find a Club: Are you looking for a fun group of athletes to work out with? Find a club near you using the USAT Club Finder.
- Guide To Your First Triathlon – Michael Harlow of Endorphin Fitness
- Intro to Triathlon – Kyle Pawlazyk of Endorphin Fitness
- How Fast Can You Go – Michael Harlow of Endorphin Fitness
- Shoelaces – Camille Ronesi of Endorphin Fitness
- Goal Setting – Michael Harlow of Endorphin Fitness
- Short Sleeve Tri Suits – Kyle Pawlaczyk of Endorphin Fitness
- What Kids Need From Sports – Michael Harlow of Endorphin Fitness
- Strength Training and the Endurance Athlete – Camille Ronesi of Endorphin Fitness
- Power Meter – Kyle Pawlaczyk of Endorphin Fitness
- Hamstring Stretches – Camille Ronesi of Endorphin Fitness
- Fishing for Breakthroughs – Michael Harlow of Endorphin Fitness
- Failure Is Not An Option – Camille Ronesi of Endorphin Fitness
- Winter Training – Team Z
- Swim Training – Doug Marocco of PowerBar Team Elite
- Off Season Top 10 List – Alysia Kern Lovgren of Catalyst 3 Coaching
Volunteers are the lifeblood of any successful event.
If you would like to volunteer for this race just fill out the form below and we will put you to work!
Affiliated CharitiesThe Special Operations Warrior Foundation provides full scholarship grants and educational and family counseling to the surviving children of special operations personnel who die in operational or training missions and immediate financial assistance to severely wounded special operations personnel and their families. Please consider making a donation during the registration process. You can also make a donation via their website by clicking HERE.
The Chesapeake Bay Foundation is a watershed protection agency that fights to keep the water we swim in clean. Please consider making a donation to the Chesapeake Bay Foundation during the registration process.
Custom Race Socks