Staged out of beautiful General Smallwood State Park, this park and area are ideally situated for a triathlon with rolling courses and low traffic roads. The swim takes place in the Mattawoman Bay, known across the Nation as a prime example of what a fully restored Chesapeake Bay tributary looks like! After a quick run to the transition area, athletes will race along rolling, freshly paved, low traffic roads of Charles County. Once you’ve laced up your running shoes, you’ll head back to the road for another scenic, rolling course with aid stations every mile. The last mile of the course is amazing as you re-enter the park and head downhill almost the entire way until just before the finish where take a wooden bridge over the Mattowoman Bay. The finish line and post race BBQ are not to be missed. This race is just a short drive from NOVA!
On the fence about registering? Check out our General Smallwood Triathlon Video and waver no more, sign up today!
General Smallwood Olympic
Saturday, June 20, 2020 at 8:00 AM
Triathlon: 1.5K Swim (Bay); 24 Mile Bike (Rolling Hills); 10K Run (Rolling Hills)
Aquabike: 1.5K Swim (Bay); 24 Mile Bike (Rolling Hills)
General Smallwood Sprint
Saturday, June 20, 2020 at 8:30 AM
Triathlon: 750 Meter Swim (Bay); 16 Mile Bike (Rolling Hills); 5K Run (Rolling Hills)
Aquabike: 750 Meter Swim (Bay); 16 Mile Bike (Rolling Hills)
- You’ll love our swag! All athletes receive a Tri-Blend Race Shirt, Custom Race Socks and all finishers receive a super cool Smallwood themed Finisher’s Medal. Also, don’t forget the DJ, bounce house for the kids and fabulous post race spread.
- Race categories available for this race are Age Group, Aquabike, Relay Teams, Clydesdale, Athena, Military and Novice (No awards). All categories are scored 3 deep.
- All Kinetic Multisports races are USA Triathlon sanctioned events. Click HERE for a brief description of common USAT racing rules and how you can avoid getting a penalty in this event.
- All Kinetic Multisports race registrations are non-refundable. There are however options for race registration insurance and a one time deferral. Visit our FAQ’s for more details.
- Are you new to the sport of triathlon and a bit nervous? Check out our training page so we can get you connected with a coach, club or training group to get you to the finish line.
- All registered athletes will receive an email on the Wednesday or Thursday before the race with all the information pertaining to their entry to include bib numbers, wave start list with start times and any last minute details to make your race weekend go smoothly!
- Please, no swimming at the race site prior to the actual race. This area is generally not set up for swimming and is a very active marina with numerous fishing boats.
Chessie Photo will be attending this event and capturing images throughout the race course. Athletes will receive a customized email after the race with automated links to find your images. You may also go directly to their website to review their custom products, and purchase your photos from this and other Series Events.
2 Options for Packet Pick Up
1. Date: Friday
Time: 5:00 – 7:00 PM
Location: Smallwood State Park Marina Area Parking Lot(Race site)
Pre-Race Meeting: 6 PM – Race Site
Race Site Address:2750 Sweden Point Road
Marbury MD 20658
2. Date: Saturday (Race Day)
Time: 6:30-7:30 AM
Location: Smallwood State Park (Race site)
Pre-Race Meeting: 7:45 AM at swim start for Olympic and 8:15 AM at swim start for Sprint
Please Note: All participants must collect his/ her own event packet. Photo ID is required in order to collect event materials. NO ID = NO EVENT. HINT if you take a photo of your ID with your phone, that will be sufficient for photo ID purposes.
Pre-Race Meeting: An extensive pre-race meeting will take place at 6PM on Friday. If this is your first race, come to this meeting to have your questions answered. A second brief meeting will occur 15 minutes prior to the first wave on race morning.
No Pre-Swimming: Please, no swimming at the race site prior to the actual race. This area is generally not set up for swimming and is a very active marina with numerous fishing boats.
For local hotel options, click HERE.
For Charles County tourism information, please visit: VisitCharlesCounty.com
Thank you for making this event your first triathlon! There are many more people like yourself who will be racing this type of event for the first time. Please note that if you register as a Novice, you will be scored in the Novice division, not your Age Group. By registering as a Novice you will start the race in the last wave of athletes if the race is an open water swim.
USA Triathlon requires each triathlete to either have a current membership or purchase a 1-day license. The 1-day license can be purchased when you register. The cost of a 1-day license is $15, an annul membership is $50 for adults and $10 for kids under 18.
Below are links to additional information that you will want to review before race weekend.
Find a Club: Are you looking for a fun group of athletes to work out with? Find a club near you using the USAT Club Finder.
- Guide To Your First Triathlon – Michael Harlow of Endorphin Fitness
- Intro to Triathlon – Kyle Pawlazyk of Endorphin Fitness
- How Fast Can You Go – Michael Harlow of Endorphin Fitness
- Shoelaces – Camille Ronesi of Endorphin Fitness
- Goal Setting – Michael Harlow of Endorphin Fitness
- Short Sleeve Tri Suits – Kyle Pawlaczyk of Endorphin Fitness
- What Kids Need From Sports – Michael Harlow of Endorphin Fitness
- Strength Training and the Endurance Athlete – Camille Ronesi of Endorphin Fitness
- Power Meter – Kyle Pawlaczyk of Endorphin Fitness
- Hamstring Stretches – Camille Ronesi of Endorphin Fitness
- Fishing for Breakthroughs – Michael Harlow of Endorphin Fitness
- Failure Is Not An Option – Camille Ronesi of Endorphin Fitness
- Winter Training – Team Z
- Swim Training – Doug Marocco of PowerBar Team Elite
- Off Season Top 10 List – Alysia Kern Lovgren of Catalyst 3 Coaching
Volunteers are the lifeblood of any successful event.
If you would like to volunteer for this race just fill out the form below and we will put you to work!
Affiliated CharitiesThe Special Operations Warrior Foundation provides full scholarship grants and educational and family counseling to the surviving children of special operations personnel who die in operational or training missions and immediate financial assistance to severely wounded special operations personnel and their families. Please consider making a donation during the registration process. You can also make a donation via their website by clicking HERE.
The Chesapeake Bay Foundation is a watershed protection agency that fights to keep the water we swim in clean. Please consider making a donation to the Chesapeake Bay Foundation during the registration process.
Custom Race Socks